Are the Reddit videos not loading on iPhone? In this guide, I have shared a few troubleshooting tips and tricks to stream the videos shared on the Reddit feed. Usually, if the Reddit app for iOS has a bug, the video will get stuck. It happens when you forget to update the app and keep using an older version of Reddit.
At times for upkeeping, Reddit servers may have been taken down temporarily. Then the videos will not load, and the app may become unresponsive as well. If the WiFi network to which your iPhone is connected is slow, unstable, or disconnects frequently, then videos on the Reddit feed will lag.
The video loading issue on Reddit for iOS may happen for all videos or any particular video while you are scrolling through the feed. For some users, even after using the latest build of Reddit, they come across video loading issues.
Best Tips to Fix Reddit Videos Not Loading on iPhone
Implement these tips and resume scrolling through Reddit videos under your favorite subreddits.
1. Update Reddit App
Start by upgrading the build of the Reddit app to a newer version. This will fix all the bugs on the current version of the app you are using.
- Open the App Store and tap the connected Apple ID avatar at the top-right corner.
- Now, scroll through the apps that have an update available.
- If you spot Reddit has an update available tap the Update button to get started.
- Launch Reddit after updating and check if the video loads without any problem.
2. Check if WiFi Network is Down
If the video is not loading and everything else is working, then the internet may not be the issue over here. Still, if you have been noticing frequent network disruptions over the recent days, contact your ISP.
Also, you can run a network speed test here to ensure your WiFi is stable. As an alternative, connect your iPhone to some other network that you have access to.
3. Ensure that Reddit Servers are Functional
Hit up the Downdetector website and check if the Reddit servers are down. That may happen to address major bug issues or some maintenance carried out by the developers for adding any new feature or making changes to the UI.
It doesn’t happen all the time that Reddit servers remain down for a while but you never know. It is better to check it out. If the servers are indeed down, then wait until officially the servers are up and running again. Then access Reddit and check if videos are loading without any hiccups.
4. Force Close Reddit and Relaunch
To force close and relaunch an app has worked for most users in solving various problems with any app. You can try that out for Reddit.
- To force close Reddit on an iPhone with a touch ID, press the home button twice to bring up the app switcher.
- Then navigate to the Reddit app card and swipe it up and close it.
- For iPhones without touch ID, swipe up from the bottom to open the app switcher.
- Then horizontally scroll to the Reddit app card and swipe it up to close it.
- Then from the iPhone app library, launch the Reddit app.
5. Use a VPN
VPNs are always a lifesaver when you have accessibility issues on certain apps or websites. It may happen that if a video is not loading on Reddit, then it may have a geographical limitation. This means the video may have been blocked in a few regions, including your region.
All you have to do is grab any VPN app like Browsec from the App Store. I’m not exclusively recommending or promoting Browsec. I happen to use it, and it does the job quite well. You can download any VPN app. Then set a VPN server from the preset list of regions and access Reddit.
6. Install iOS Update
It is wise to upgrade the iOS version to a new build, as using Reddit on an older version of iOS may cause compatibility and bug issues.
- To search for iOS updates, launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on General > Software Update.
- If an update is available, tap on Download and Install.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the iOS update. Make sure to update the Reddit app to a newer version as well. Then launch the app, and there should be no issues with loading/playing the video on Reddit.
7. Disable Reddit Autoplay
As per some Reddit users, disabling the autoplay feature on the app helps to load the videos easily. On a weaker WiFi network, having the autoplay enabled will result in slowing down the video buffering due to the considerable bandwidth consumption required for the feature to work.
- Launch the Reddit app.
- Tap on the Reddit account avatar at the top-right corner of the feed.
- Scroll to Settings and tap on it.
- Navigate to the View options and tap on Autoplay.
- In the following dropdown menu, set Autoplay to Never.
8. Offload and Reinstall Reddit
Offloading the app can be compared to the clearing of the cache performed on Android apps to remove temporary files from the app. When you offload the app, the app data remains, but temporary files associated with the application along with the app get removed. You can then reinstall the app.
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
- Scroll to Reddit and tap on it.
- Tap on Offload App and confirm the action.
- To reinstall the app, open the App Store.
- Search for Reddit, and when you see the app, tap on the download icon to get it back on your device.
9. Use Google DNS
If your network remains slow, set the DNS to Google DNS. It can speed up your network significantly.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone > Tap on WiFi.
- Tap on the ‘i’ button next to the WiFi network that you use and whose DNS you want to alter.
- Scroll to DNS and tap on Configure DNS.
- Tap on Manual.
- Under DNS Servers, tap on Add Server and enter 188.8.131.52 as the primary DNS
- Again tap on Add Server and enter 184.108.40.206, which will be the alternate DNS.
- Tap Save after changing the DNS of the network.
Now, launch Reddit and scroll through the feed to check if you can play the videos.
Miscellaneous Tips to Fix Video Loading Problem on Reddit
Apart from the prominent troubleshooting tips described above, here are some other tips and tricks shared by Reddit users on many occasions to fix the video loading issue on Reddit for iOS. While hunting for tips and tricks from the internet, I stepped into the problematic app in this context(Reddit).
In various forums and comment sections of Reddit, I found a few commonly shared tricks that have worked for Reddit users to fix the video loading problem on the social media platform.
Use the Older Version of Reddit
As per the suggestions of a few hardcore Reddit users, instead of using the Reddit app, use the browser on your device to access the older version of Reddit.
- Open the browser app you prominently use on your iPhone.
- In the URL bar, enter old.reddit.com
The videos on the feed should play smoothly.
Tap the Comment Box
A couple of users on Reddit suggest that when a specific video on Reddit is not loading, then tap the comment box icon below it. Wait for the comments to load. Then go back to the feed, and you can now play the video that was not loading previously.
Visit the Profile of the Video Uploader
As they say, doctors differ; the same can be applied to social media enthusiasts when looking for tips to solve issues on social media. A Reddit user states that when the video is not loading on Reddit, tap on the profile of the user/subreddit that has posted the video. Then go back to the feed, and the video should now play smoothly.
Stream Videos on Reddit Without Stopping
Reddit is a great one-stop social media app that offers news, entertainment, fiction, comedy, and much more interesting stuff. You should not be deprived of watching videos on Reddit due to some stupid bug. All these tips should suffice for you to troubleshoot the issue of videos not loading on Reddit when accessed through the iPhone.